School of Medicine
UC San Diego School of Medicine
David A. Brenner, MD, vice chancellor of UC San Diego Health Sciences and dean of UC San Diego School of Medicine
- In 2012, David Brenner, MD, and Don W. Cleveland, PhD, chair of the Department of Cellular and Molecular Medicine at UC San Diego School of Medicine, were elected to the Institute of Medicine (IOM) at its 42nd annual meeting. Election to the IOM is considered one of the highest honors in the fields of health and medicine.
- UC San Diego School of Medicine is ranked 15th in the country in research-intensive programs among 126 medical schools in U.S. News & World Report’s “America’s Best Graduate Schools, 2012 Edition”; its AIDS program in the primary care category is ranked 8th.
- The School of Medicine’s Center for the Future of Surgery opened in 2011 and is one of the largest facilities in the nation catalyzing novel surgical technologies, techniques and teaching methods.
- In 2011, UC San Diego School of Medicine had the eighth highest National Institutes of Health (NIH) total funding of all schools of medicine, according to NIH’s Research Portfolio Online Reporting Tools (RePORT).
- In 2011, UC San Diego School of Medicine faculty ranked fourth nationally in research funding per faculty member, according to the Association of American Medical Colleges.
- UC San Diego School of Medicine is the region’s only medical school, established in 1968.
- The faculty is made up of more than 1,400 physicians and scientists in 16 academic departments.
- Joint degree programs with UC San Diego main campus and San Diego State University include public health, clinical psychology and audiology.
- New Integrative Scientific Curriculum started August, 2010
- 125 students accepted each year out of 5,000 applicants
- Medical Scholars Program, 60 combined bachelor and medical degree students
- Medical Sciences Training Program, 75 combined MD/PhD students (400 applicants)
- More than 700 residents and clinical fellows
9500 Gilman Drive,
Mail Code 0602
La Jolla, CA 92093-0602