News & Events
UCSD DEM Faculty go to Presidential address in Washington D.C.
Drs Christian Sloane, Jake Jacoby, John Serra, Chris Kahn, and Davut Savaser provided medical incident support for President Barack Obama's State of the Union address on January 20th, 2015 at the Capital building in Washington, DC, as part of DMAT CA-4.
Congratulations to Dr. Radhika Sundararajan for being awarded a grant from the UCSD Health Sciences Academic Senate.
The grant was entitled, "Use of Traditional Healers by Patients at Risk of HIV Infection in Mozambique: A Qualitative Study." To find out more about our faculties grants, click here.
DEM Drs Edward Castillo and Christian Tomaszewski receive grant from UCOP, Division of Health Sciences and Services, Center for Health Quality and Innovation.
Drs. Castillo and Tomaszewski were awarded over $260,000 for their grant: "Mitigating Legal Risk in the Emergency Department: A UC Health System Wide Collaboration." To find out more about our faculties grants, click here.
UCSD Department of Emergency Medicine physicians meet with the Health Minister of Saudi Arabia.
Emergency Medicine doctors Jim Dunford, Chris Tomaszewski, Jim Killeen. and Ted Chan met with the Saudi Arabia Health Minister in December.
New Longitudinal Ultrasound Course at UCSD
Congratulations to Dr. Virag Shah and the Ultrasound Division for launching a new Longitudinal Ultrasound Course at UCSD Medical School.
EM Doctor Jorge Fernandez Winner of 2014 National Emergency Medicine CPC Semi Final Competition
UCSD Department of Emergency Medicine doctor and Assistant Clinical Professor Jorge Fernandez was the Faculty Discussant Winner of Division 1 at the 2014 CPC Semi Final Competition in New Orleans, Louisiana. Click here to read more.
Welcome to our new Residents, Class of 2018!
The Department of Emergency Medicine excitedly welcomes the incoming Residents in June of 2014. Click here to learn more about each resident!
UCSD Health System Designated U.S. Olympic Regional Medical Center
UC San Diego Health System has been designated an Official U.S. Olympic Regional Medical Center, joining a national network of leading medical providers selected by the United States Olympic Committee to provide comprehensive medical services to Team USA athletes. Click here to read more.
EM Doctor Karen Van Hoesen awarded Diver of the Year by the Divers Alert Network (DAN)
Clinical Professor Dr. Karen Van Hoesen was awarded the DAN/Rolex Diver of the Year Award. Van Hoesen's involvement in scuba diving began at a young age and continued through to her professional life. Not only is she a Clinical Professor of Emergency Medicine, but also Director of the UCSD Diving Medicine Center and Director of the Undersea and Hyperbaric Medicine Fellowship. Click here to read more.
EM Nurse Director Bev Kress nominated for Excellence in Leadership Award
Bev Kress, Nurse Director for the Emergency and Critical Care departments at UC San Diego, has been nominated to receive the 2013 Excellence in Leadership Award for San Diego during the 36th Annual ACNL (Association of California Nurse Leaders) Conference.
EM Nurse Karen Mitchell receives scholarship from Association of California Nurse Leaders
Karen Mitchell has been awarded a scholarship for pursuit of a doctorate degree in Healthcare Organizational Leadership as well as had an accepted poster titled, "ED Community Placement Project (EDCPP); an innovative method for managing ED frequent users" during the 36th Annual ACNL Conference.
EM Fellow Adel Al-Marshad was regonized at the National Saudi Healthcare Innovation Competition
Dr. Al-Marshad was awarded 2nd place out of 217 entrants in the competition for his medication adherence app involving behavior modification alerts.
Welcome to our new Residents, Class of 2017!
A warm welcome to our incoming residents in July of 2013. Click here to read more about them.
EM Resident Sow Kobayashi, MD, published in the New England Journal of Medicine.
Dr. Sow Kobayashi had a video published in the NEJM. Click here to view the publication.
Professor Ted Chan, MD, recognized at the White House
Dr. Ted Chan was one of 82 physicians recognized at the White House for achievements in Health Information Technology. Click here for more.
Nas Rafi, MD, recognized for life-saving efforts
Dr. Nas Rafi was recognized in the Vancouver Sun for her heroic efforts in aiding a cyclist who was hit by a car. Click here for more.
Amanda Lamond, MD, recognized in the National News
Dr. Amanda Lamond was recognized in the national news for her story of becoming a physician against insurmountable odds. Click here for more.
Associate Professor Jim Killeen, MD nationally recognized for Outstanding Achievement in Information Systems
Dr. Jim Killeen was one of four national awardees for Outstanding Achievement by the Association of Medical Directors of Information Systems.
- EM Residency highlighted in the new $70 million UCSD Sim Center. The UC San Diego School of Medicine has opened a state-of-the-art medical training center — the first since the medical school opened in 1968 — fulfilling a longstanding desire by UCSD to bring all of its training programs under one roof.
- Ted Chan, MD, David Guss, MD, Jim Killeen, MD, Ed Castillo, PhD, and the UCSD Dept of Emergency Medicine awarded $15.3million grant from ONC on behalf of the San Diego Beacon collaborative to expand health IT innovation throughout the region. Announced by Vice President Joseph Biden and DHHS Secretary Sibelius from the White House.
- UCSD's Emergency Medicine Residents came in first place in the ACEP/EMRA Simulation-Wars at the 2010 Annual American College of Emergency Physicians Conference in Las Vegas.
- The Department of Emergency Medicine deployed three physicians to Haiti to provide medical care to earthquake survivors: Drs. Christian Sloane, Colleen Buono and Sean-Xavier Neath. Drs. Neath, Buono and Sloane were selected as "Real Heroes" for their efforts in Haiti by the San Diego/Imperial Counties chapter of the American Red Cross.
- San Diego County Medical Society along with San Diego Magazine places several of our physicians on the 2009 Top Doctors List: Ted Chan MD, Richard Clark MD, Jim Dunford MD, David Guss MD, Chris Sloane MD, and Gary Vilke MD.
- Daniel Davis is awarded the NAPH for Best Patient Safety Program for UC San Diego's Comprehensive Inpatient Resuscitation Program
- Ted Chan, MD, Jim Killeen, MD, Colleen Buono, MD, along wit Bill Griswold, PHD (Computer Science) were awarded a $2.6 million grant from NIH for project titled WIISARD (Wireless Internet Information System for Medical Response to Disasters)
- David Guss, Ted Chan and Gary Vilke are named Top Reviewers for Annals of Emergency Medicine
- Jim Dunford is awarded a Public Service Award for his role as the Medical Director for San Diego Project Heartbeat
- Eddie Castillo, Ted Chan and Gary Vilke are awarded an evaluation grant from the California Healthcare Foundation to study ambulance diversion in California
- Jim Killeen, Ted Chan and Eddie Castillo are awarded two grants from the county of San Diego and Pacificare/United Health to electronically link hospital EDs and local area community clinics
- Kama Guluma received part of an NIH P-01 program project awarded to study external counterpulsation as a treatment for acute ischemic stroke
- Jim Dunford is awarded the Vic Kops Humanitarian award for his role as the Medical Director for the Qualcomm Stadium Aid Center in the 2007 Wildfires