Divisions in the Department of Emergency Medicine
In addition to running the clinical departments at UC San Diego Health System, the Department of Emergency Medicine also operates several active divisions.
- The Division of Research, which coordinates departmental research activities.
- The Division of EMS and Disaster Medicine coordinates the EMS activities of the City of San Diego’s EMS system, as well as providing medical direction of Mercy Air, San Diego County’s sole aeromedical provider. The division is the primary sponsor of CA-4, a level 1 disaster medical assistance team (DMAT).
- The Division of Hyperbaric Medicine is a very active division with 6 hyperbaric medicine faculty physicians and a hyperbaric medicine fellow. The multiplace chamber is the only facility in over 3 counties and Mexico that offers emergency hyperbaric consultation and treatment 24 hours a day, 365 days a year for all approved indications.
- The Division of Toxicology runs an inpatient toxicology consult service at UCSD and Scripps Mercy hospitals, provides medical direction to the San Diego regional poison center (one of the five primary sites of the California poison control system), and sponsors a well established toxicology fellowship.
- The Division of Ultrasound Medicine coordinates continuing medical education for physicians and residents and now offers a Ultrasound Fellowship program.
- The Division of Pediatric Emergency Medicine provides an ACGME-accredited three-year fellowship program, one of only five programs in California.