UC San Diego Health Sciences is unique for educating the health care professionals of tomorrow, advancing medical discoveries, and for excellence in patient care in the San Diego region. UC San Diego Health Sciences is composed of academic and clinical entities — UC San Diego School of Medicine
, Skaggs School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences
, and UC San Diego Health System
As one of the world’s premier academic health systems, UC San Diego Health Sciences has five strategies:
- We will leverage our unique multidisciplinary approach that integrates medicine, pharmacy, engineering, biology, genomics, and bioinformatics to solve medical problems.
- We will partner with outstanding research institutions in San Diego, across the nation, and throughout the world to translate research into better health care.
- We will focus our resources and energy on developing clinical programs that position UC San Diego as a world leader in innovative healthcare.
- We will create a new academic medical complex by investing in state-of-the-art facilities and equipment.
- We will deliver the finest medical care to the residents of San Diego and beyond.
The Health Sciences strategic planning process has been multi-faceted. For the overall campus strategic plan, we have conducted two large Health Sciences-focused town halls as well as four smaller ones. Other strategic planning meetings have focused on more targeted audiences in Health Sciences. Additionally, some other components of Health Sciences (e.g., Skaggs School of Pharmacy) are undertaking their own specific strategic planning processes and have created or are creating specific plans.
The Health Sciences Strategic Plan overview draws upon these planning efforts and materials, and also includes many of the innovative strategies being discussed to help position UC San Diego as a world leader in the health sciences. This overview is organized in the framework of five goals and twelve key initiatives (listed below) that have been identified by the campus-wide strategic planning process.
- Create an engaging environment for students with a comprehensive academic and career advising and mentorship
- Rethink curriculum, pedagogy, and education delivery mechanisms, including technology enhanced learning
- Strengthen co-curricular experiences and activities
- Enhance equity, diversity and inclusion on campus
- Attract, retain and grow our top quality faculty body
- Grow a high quality and cost effective graduate program
- Identify emerging and future trends and strategic thrusts to increase our impact and enrich society
- Evolve structures and processes to identify future trends for investment and foster innovation, risk taking and collaboration on-campus and beyond
- Strengthen our community engagement and public service and increase awareness of UC San Diego’s impact
- Provide access to high quality patient care
- Enhance financial sustainability, through new revenue and efficient use of existing revenue
- Cultivate a service and people oriented culture that unlocks our potential