1. Analytical Flow Cytometry
Utilizes a Becton Dickinson FACSCalibur, a 4-color, dual-laser benchtop flow cytometer. Included is the CellQuest software for list-mode data recording and analysis. Data recording and analysis can be performed with the FACS Aria, a triple-laser, multiparameter flow cytometer using up to 11-color fluorescence signals, along with forward and side-angle light scatter.
2. Cell Sorting
In addition to analytical experiments, the FACSAria can perform aseptic sorting of living cell subpopulations utilizing various criteria, such as intrinsic cell properties, e.g. DNA content, Green Fluorescent Protein (GFP), or extrinsic properties, such as molecular markers identified by fluorescently-labelled monoclonal antibodies.
3. Automated Magnetic Cell Sorting (autoMACS)
Used for convenient isolation of rare cell subpopulations or large numbers cells, up to 4 x 109. Its use of magnetic particles for cell separation is both useful and efficient, and the cells can then go straight to FACS analysis or further sorting. Manufacturer's website: autoMACS
In addition to education about the functionality and capabilities of the Shared Resource, technical support personnel also advise in the design of experiments and assist investigators in the initiation of pilot projects, provide limited amounts of specific reagents, and contribute detailed consultation in analysis of data.
- Toxicity and viability assays (PI, NK assays, CTL, etc.)
- Many apoptosis assays (DNA content, TUNEL, SBIP, Annexin-V, caspases, mitochondrial membrane potential, etc.)
- Quantification of cells expressing specific surface, cytoplasmic, secreted, or nuclear antigens
- Proliferation assays (BrdU, PKH-26, CFDA-SE etc.)
- Cell Cycle Analysis (by quantification of DNA or incorporation of BrdU)
- Separation of living cell populations expressing marker genes for specific cell lineages (GFP, FACS-gal, NGFR, etc.)
- Cloning of cells modified by introduction of novel genes for therapeutic purposes (CloneCyt Plus)
- Calcium Flux (Fluo-4, Fluo-3/Fura Red, Indo-1)
- Membrane Potential
- Enzyme Activity
- Glutothione Determination (CellTracker, NDA, etc.)
- Multidrug Resistance (MDR) Assays
- Intracellular pH (SNARF-1)
- Phagocytosis (HDCF-BSA, Dihydrorhodamine 123, calcein, bacteria, yeast etc.)
- Oxidative Burst, Free Radicals & Reactive Oxygen Species
- Degranulation & Actin Polymerization
- Quantification of Reticulocytes
- Cytometric Bead Arrays
- Platelet Activation
- Aseptic sorting of any subpopulation of cells from suspension into tubes or microtiter culture plates or directly onto slides
- Index Cell Sorting: The well location is identified and recorded when a cell is sorted, making correlation of flow cytometry data (e.g., fluorescence intensity) with non-flow based assays more accurate.
Flow Cytometry Links