Students learn communication strategies for writing and presenting scientific and engineering knowledge to audiences ranging from specialist to general communities. The course will help equip students with a wide range of core communication skills necessary as a researcher, including writing a review to a systematic review, writing popular pieces, research papers, and grant proposals. Further, the course will cover speaking and design techniques to improve research presentation.
This course is structured in the following manner:
**Homework for each week will be due the following week unless otherwise specified.
Introduction and Writing Basics
- Sentence structure
Homework: Write a paragraph about your research interests
Techniques for Improving Writing
- Writing plain sentences and paragraphs
- Changing from passive to active voice
- Eliminating verbose language
Homework: Rewrite the paragraph about your research interests.
Blogs and Popular Pieces
- Learn from professional blogs and popular pieces
Discussion about Final Project
- Choose 3 ideas for an online magazine piece.
- Find resources for all 3 ideas.
- Write a 250-word piece to explain a biomedical informatics topic of choice.
- Learn to write abstracts for research papers and posters
- Present final project ideas and resources
Homework: Rewrite an abstract from a JAMIA article.
- How to write technical documents
Homework: Write the system requirements for a biomedical informatics application of choice.
- Learn to make posters for conferences
Homework: Make a poster of the selected JAMIA article.
Mock Poster Session
- Learn to present posters and answer questions
Homework: Make PowerPoint slides for a 10-minute presentation on the selected JAMIA article.
- Learn to give a talk and answer questions.
Homework: Write the first draft of your magazine piece (due week 10).
Research Papers Review Session
- Learn to critique research papers.
Homework: Continue working on draft.
- Proofread final project draft as a group.
Homework: Edit draft of magazine piece.
Final Project due