Education & Training
- Post-doctoral Research Fellow, Decision Systems Group, Brigham & Women's Hospital, Boston, MA
- PhD, Health Informatics, University of Minnesota at Twin Cities, Minneapolis, MN (dissertation: Exploring data reusability: standardized representation of domain content and feasibility testing)
- Pre-doctoral Fellow, Division of Biomedical Informatics Research, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN
- MPH, Graduate School of Public Health, Seoul National University, Seoul, Korea (dissertation: Attitude toward keeping privacy of medical records)
- BSN, College of Nursing, Seoul National University, Seoul, Korea
- Informatician, Clinical Informatics Research & Development, Partners Healthcare, Wellesley, MA
- Research Associate, Internal Medicine, Brigham & Women's Hospital, Boston, MA
- Systems Analyst, City of Hope National Cancer Center, Duarte, CA
- Instructor, Red-cross College of Nursing, Seoul, Korea
- Registered Nurse, Seoul National University Hospital, Seoul, Korea
- Registered Nurse, Licensed by Minnesota Board of Nursing
- Certified by Commission on Graduate of Foreign Nursing School
- Registered Nurse, Licensed by Ministry of Health and Welfare, Seoul Korea
- Standardized concept representation (terminologies and information modeling)
- Impact of information technology on patient care
- Clinical decision support systems
- Consumer health informatics
- 2007, AMIA Nursing Informatics Working Group Award
- 2010, AMIA Nursing Informatics Harriet Werley Award
- (see also PubMed or Google Scholar )
- Lin KW, Tharp M, Conway M, Hsieh A, Ross M, Kim J, Kim HE*. Feasibility of Using Clinical Element Models (CEM) to Standardize Phenotype Variables in the Database of Genotypes and Phenotypes (dbGaP). PLoS One. 2013 Sep 18;8(9):e76384. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0076384. PubMed PMID: 24058713. (*corresponding author)
- Doan S, Lin KW, Conway M, Ohno-Machado L, Hsieh A, Feupe SF, Garland A, Ross MK, Jiang X, Farzaneh S, Walker R, Alipanah N, Zhang J, Xu H, Kim HE*. PhenDisco: phenotype discovery system for the database of genotypes and phenotypes. J Am Med Inform Assoc. 2013 Sep 3. doi: 10.1136/amiajnl-2013-001882. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 23989082. (*corresponding author)
- Choi J, Kim H. Enhancement of decision rules to increase generalizability and performance of the rule-based system assessing risk for pressure ulcer. Appl Clin Inform. 2013 Jun 5;4(2):251-66. doi: 10.4338/ACI-2012-12-RA-0056. Print 2013. PubMed PMID: 23874362; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3716416.
- Ogunyemi OI, Meeker D, Kim HE, Ashish N, Farzaneh S, Boxwala A. Identifying appropriate reference data models for comparative effectiveness research (CER) studies based on data from clinical information systems. Med Care. 2013 Aug;51(8 Suppl 3):S45-52. doi: 10.1097/MLR.0b013e31829b1e0b. PubMed PMID: 23774519.
- Choi J, Choi J, Kim H. Nurses' Interpretation of Patient Status Descriptions on the Braden Scale. Clin Nurs Res. 2013 May 3. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 23644462.
- Hsieh, A, Doan S, Conway, M, Lin, KW, Kim H. Demographics Identification: Variable Extraction Resource (DIVER), Healthcare Informatics, Imaging and Systems Biology (HISB), 2012 IEEE Second International Conference on , vol., no., pp.40-49, 27-28 Sept. 2012 doi: 10.1109/HISB.2012.17
- Ardsa S, Myers Jr. SL, Ray P, Kim H, Monroe K, Arteagaf I, Racialized Perceptions and Child Neglect, Child Youth Serv Rev. 2012 Aug 1;34(8):1480-91
- Choi J, Kim H, A Workflow Oriented Framework (WOF) driven Implementation and Local Adaptation of Clinical Information Systems: A case study of nursing documentation system implementation at a tertiary rehabilitation hospital, Comput, Inform, Nurs. 2012 Aug;30(8):409-14
- Kim H, El-Kareh R, Goel A, Vineet F, Chapman WW. An approach to improve LOINC mapping through augmentation of local test names. J Biomed Inform. 2011 (preprint)
- Kim H, Jiang X, Kim J, Ohno-Machado L. Trends in biomedical informatics: most cited topis from recent years. J Am Med Inform Assoc. 2011 Dec;18 Suppl 1:i166-i170.
- Kim H, Dykes P, Thomas D, Winfield L, Rocha R. A closer look at nursing documentation on paper forms: preparation for computerizing a nursing documentation system. Comput Biol Med, 2011 Apr;41(4):182-9. Epub 2010 Sep 16.
- Kim H, Choi J, Thompson S, Meeker L, Goldsmith D, Dykes P, Ohno-Machado L, Automating pressure ulcer risk assessment using documented patient data, Int J Med Inform, 2010 Dec;79(12):840-8.
- Kim H, Dykes P, Rocha R. A Process for standardizing documentation contents for electronic documentation systems. In: Weaver C, Delaney CW, Weber P, Carr RL, editors. Nursing and Informatics for the 21st Century: An International Look at Practice, Education and EHR Trends. 2nd ed: HIMMS; 2010 (book chapter).
- Dykes P, Kim H*, Goldsmith D, Choi J, Esumi K, Goldberg H. The Adequacy of the ICNP version 1.0 as a representational model for electronic nursing assessment documentation. J Am Med Inform Assoc. 2009 Mar-Apr; 16(2);238-46. Epub 2008 Dec 11. (*corresponding author)
- Kim HE, Nakamura C, Zeng-Treitler Q. Assessment of pictographs developed through a participatory design process using an online survey tool. J Med Internet Res. 2009 Feb 24; 11(1):e5.
- Kim HE, Harris MR, Savova GK, Chute CG. The first step toward data reuse: disambiguating concept representation of the locally developed ICU nursing flowsheets. Comput Inform Nurs. 2008 Sep-Oct;26(5):282-9
- Keselman A, Arnott Smith C, Divita G, Kim H, Browne A, Leroy G, Zeng-Treitler Q. Consumer health concepts that do not map to the UMLS: where do they fit?, J Am Med Inform Assoc. 2008 Jul-Aug;15(4):496-505. Epub 2008 Apr 24.
- Kim HE, Harris MR, Speedie SM, Savova GK, Chute CG. Toward near-real time patient acuity estimation: a feasibility study. Nurs Res. 2007 Jul-Aug;56(4):288-94.
- Myers Jr. SL, Kim HE, Mandala C. The effectiveness of school poverty on racial gaps in test scores: the cases of the Minnesota basic standards tests. The Journal of Negro Education 2004 73(1):81-98.
A complete C.V. is available upon request