- Varied clinical experiences:
- Tertiary/quaternary referral centers with diverse patient populations at our
three teaching hospitals:
Moores Cancer Center is the only NCI-designated
Comprehensive Cancer Center in San Diego
Sulpizio Cardiovascular Center is a referral center for the area south of Los Angeles and east to Las Vegas
- HIV consult service and attendings supervising HIV patients and giving focused conferences
Global medicine elective rotation with affiliated site in Maputo, Mozambique, a resident exchange that is the only bidirectional such program in the United States
- Primary care experience in a range of clinics, from the underserved population in San Ysidro to the fully insured populations of Scripps Health and Kaiser Permanente
- Jacobs Medical Center to open in 2016
- Residents from medical schools across the country
Clinical excellence reflected in high national rankings including
U.S. News & World Report "Best Hospitals" and "Top Doctors"
- Fully integrated electronic medical records at all sites, with active participation by UC San Diego Health in health records exchange with other San Diego hospitals
- Abundant research training opportunities at UC San Diego and its partners in the San Diego-La Jolla biotechnology cluster
- The Southern California environment: beaches, mountains, and desert for recreation and a diverse and lively arts and entertainment scene
Medicine Grand Rounds and other conferences are available via streaming video or teleconference
- GME Core lecture series available online
- Innovative curriculum with mix of case conferences, didactics and problem-based learning in addition to daily rounds. Friday School is an integrated and interactive case-based weekly conference for residents on outpatient and interns on inpatient rotations. We have a weekly outpatient curriculum for residents at their continuity clinics.
2-month dedicated research block
- Time off and funding for presentation of research data at regional and national conferences
- The Rising R2 Day equips our newly minted residents for their new role as the team leader. The workshop includes practical teaching on how to teach on rounds, small group discussions about difficult interpersonal situations, hands-on procedure training and code simulations
- Four weeks of vacation per year (two 2-week blocks)
- There is 24-hour Wi-Fi access at all hospitals and in most buildings and public areas on the
School of Medicine campus
- Home access to EMRs at all sites for order entry and imaging, and UC San Diego
- Annual housing and educational stipend
- Reimbursement for licensing and USMLE Step III
- Discounted UC San Diego parking passes
The UC San Diego program provides excellent internal medicine training:
- Graduating residents match in excellent fellowships in all subspecialty fields, many obtaining highly sought-after slots nationally and at UC San Diego. UC San Diego's
internal medicine subspecialty fellowships are the only university-based fellowship programs in San Diego.
More about graduate placement in fellowships
Graduating residents are offered rewarding jobs in the community and in academics. Twenty-four of our former chief medical residents currently hold faculty positions in the UC San Diego
Department of Medicine.
- The American Board of Internal Medicine board exam pass rate is 99% over the last five years. This is the #1 board exam pass rate in California among large university-based training programs.