The Rehabilitation Medicine Division provides inpatient rehabilitation services for children and adolescents who have a variety of physical and cognitive issues. The physicians also oversee or are an integral part of various outpatient clinics in which rehabilitation medicine is a core component.
Inpatient services are provided for patients with a wide range of conditions or injuries, including post-traumatic head injuries, neurological disorders, spinal cord injuries, chronic pulmonary diseases, infectious diseases, cardiovascular disorders, brain tumors, and acute disabilities.
The goal of the program is to improve physical and cognitive function so that the child can return to his home, school and daily activities.
All patients are evaluated and treated by our interdisciplinary team, which includes a social worker, case manager, child life specialist, special education teacher, dietitian, registered nurse, and physical, occupational and speech therapists. The team meets daily to evaluate the ongoing needs of patients and their families, assuring that all physical, cognitive and social needs are met.
Inpatient Rehabilitation Services Include:
- Physical therapy: evaluation for ambulation, orthoses and adaptive equipment
- Occupational therapy: assessment of activities of daily living, dysphagia evaluation
- Speech therapy: cognitive and speech evaluations
- Education: academic and IEP evaluation
- Social services: evaluation of patient/family psychosocial dynamics and treatment compliance
- Case management: treatment authorization, evaluation of discharge needs, coordination of outpatient therapies
- Child life services: psychosocial support along with diversional and educational activities
Outpatient Clinics Care Includes:
- Acquired Brain Injury Clinic
- Brachial Plexus Clinic
- Cerebral Palsy Clinic
- Chronic Pain Clinic
- Electrodiagnostics Clinic
- Limb Deficiency Clinic
- Muscle Disease Clinic
- Neuro-Oncology Comprehensive Clinic
- Pediatric Rehabilitation Clinic
- Plagiocephaly Clinic
- Spinal Cord Injury Clinic
- Spinal Defects Clinic
- Torticollis Clinic
- Spasticity Clinic