Clinic Number: (858) 966-6795
Visit the Rady Children's Hospital Division of Dermatology
The Dermatology Division services inpatient consultations at Rady Children’s Hospital-San Diego, UCSD Medical Center and Sharp Mary Birch Hospital for Women. The pediatric dermatology clinical service is amongst the largest in the country-in physician number, size of the fellowship training program, number of annual patient visits (18,000 in 2007), dermatologic surgeries/procedures (approximately 1,600 per year) and newborn consultations (750 per year).
The physicians in the division have advanced training in the expert diagnosis and management of common and uncommon skin conditions which include:
- Eczema, psoriasis and other inflammatory skin disorders
- Hemangiomas, vascular malformations, and other birthmarks
- Warts and molluscum contagiosum
- Bacterial, viral and fungal infections of the skin, hair, and nails
- Moles (nevi), melanoma and other skin malignancies
- Congenital and acquired tumors
Comprehensive services including evaluation and counseling regarding therapeutic options and the implications of rare genetic disorders are available. The division emphasizes state-of-the-art evaluation and management of birthmarks and acquired skin growths including moles (nevi), hemangiomas, port-wine stains and other skin lesions and other vascular malformations.
The division has internationally recognized expertise in laser and dermatologic surgery for children and adolescents. Therapies utilized include topical and systemic drugs, cryosurgery, laser therapy and dermatologic surgery. Surgical services are performed in-office or in the Day Surgery Center at Rady Children’s Hospital, and state-of-the-art pain relief techniques are utilized during procedures.
At the regional level, we have established multidisciplinary clinics within the Rady Children’s Hospital-San Diego setting, allowing for maximized care across various disciplines. For example, the vascular anomalies clinic, held bimonthly, includes physicians from different specialties both within the Rady Children’s Hospital-San Diego system (plastic surgery, genetics, otolaryngology, radiology, ophthalmology, orthopedics, dermatology,) and other regional institutions (Kaiser Permanente, Naval Medical Center San Diego).
The Eczema Center continues its work involving clinical care, family education, and research on atopic dermatitis and other inflammatory skin diseases. The Eczema Center practices comprehensive patient care and is committed to integrating basic and clinical research for prevention and improved treatment of eczematous dermatitis. Innovative education of patients and families is a central part of the Eczema Center’s mission, including an “atopic dermatitis school program.” The Eczema Center emphasizes medical, educational, and emotional support to eczema patients and their families. Highlights of the Center’s activities this past year include:
- Opening of new clinical and research space at the 8010 Frost Street building.
- Initiation of Eczema School session for patient and family education about atopic dermatitis.
- Recipient of American Academy of Dermatology grant for a program of innovative continuing medical education in dermatology.
- Development of video education modules for patients, families, physicians, and other healthcare providers.
- Development of a computerized training program for utilizing a standardized eczema severity rating system for clinical trials.
- Many publications on atopic dermatitis and other inflammatory diseases in major pediatrics, dermatology, and medical journals, as well as featured articles in many media venues on The Eczema Center.
- Held the first national education conference, “Update on Eczema, Atopic Conditions and Inflammatory Skin Disorders,” a national CME meeting held in San Diego in conjunction with the National Eczema Association family meeting in July of 2008.