Eyla Boies joined the UC San Diego Academic General Pediatric practice in 1992 where she has provided primary care for infants, children and adolescents through all of their developmental stages. Breastfeeding medicine and parental vaccine uncertainty are areas of expertise. Eyla established and continues to serve as medical director of the Premature Infant Nutrition Clinic where recently discharged premature infants and their mothers are evaluated and receive help in breastfeeding while assuring proper growth and nutrition. This is an area of interest across the country as at discharge from the hospital most preterm infants are not competent breastfeeders, their mothers often have suboptimal milk supplies and historically these infants have not kept up with their term counterparts in growth and development.
Eyla is a clinical professor of pediatrics at UC San Diego School of Medicine where she instructs medical students and residents in the clinic and lectures on general pediatric care including vaccines and infant nutrition.
Education and Training
- BS Zoology: College of Idaho
- MD: Washington University, St. Louis, MO
- Pediatric Residency: Washington University, St. Louis, MO
- Fellowship Pediatric Infectious Disease: St. Louis Children’s Hospital
Areas of Interest
- Premature infant nutrition, breastfeeding and vaccine promotion.
- Premature Infant Nutrition Community Project #121603
- Funded through UCSD Clinical Trial Translational Institute
- Aim: Assess pediatric provider practice and experiences regarding nutrition of the preterm infants after discharge.
- Premature Infant Nutrition Clinic Quality Assurance Project #090368X
- Ongoing project to collect data regarding our experiences in PINC. Data from this project has resulted in six poster and/or platform presentations.
- AAP Human Papilloma Vaccine Education and Promotion Project
- American Academy of Pediatrics supported by Merck
- Eyla served as physician champion and lead. This project involved producing a video showcasing San Diego pediatricians responding to actors playing the role of parents and patients with questions about HPV vaccine and an adolescent medicine specialist moderating. A webinar with four segments covering HPV disease, epidemiology, tips for responding to hesitant parents, and reminder recall was produced and broadcast. The video can be viewed at http://www.aapca3.org/hpv-videos-education-promotion/ and the webinar at http://www.aapca3.org
Boies, E.G., Vaucher, Y.E. ABM Protocol #10 Breastfeeding the Late Preterm (34-36 6/7 weeks of Gestation) and Early Term Infants (37-38 6/7 weeks of Gestation), Second Revision 2016. Breastfeed Med. 2016 Dec; 11:494-500.
- Kumar M,
Boies E, Sawyer M, Kennedy M. Williams C, Rhee Kyung. "A Brief Video Improves Recommendation of the Human Papillomavirus Vaccine."
Poster presented at 8th Annual Pediatric Research Symposium, Rady Children's Hospital/UCSD on January 13, 2017 and again during a poster symposium at PAS in San Francisco May 2017.
Boies, E., Vaucher, Y., Gahagan, S., Williams, C.,Kim, J., " Early Post-discharge Feeding Outcomes of Preterm Infants Whose Mothers Intended To Provide Breastmilk."
Poster presentation April 25, 2015 at PAS in San Diego, CA
- AAP and ACOG sponsored Webinar, "Maintaining Breastfeeding Beyond the First Week". In conjunction with Susan Crowe. The webinar is available at
- "Breastfeeding the Late Preterm Infant" as part of the
What Every Physician Needs to Know about Breastfeeding (WEPNTK). Lecture given yearly as part of a one day pre-course before the annual meeting of ABM. (Washington DC 2016, Los Angeles 2015, and Cleveland 2014.)
- "Breastfeeding the Late Preterm Infant" and "Managing Infant complication as part of WEPNTK course in Manila, Philippines, September 15 and 16, 2016.
- Medical Director fourth year outpatient direct patient care course(PEDS 431)
- Attending in clinic for third and fourth year students and pediatric residents
- Preceptor of continuity clinic residents
- Preceptor for third year residents Clinical Pathologic Conference
- Regular participant in professors rounds
- Academy of Breastfeeding Medicine
- Board of Directors
- Chair, Membership Committee
- San Diego County Breastfeeding Coalition
- Past President and Board of Directors
- American Academy of Pediatric
- Section on Breastfeeding
- CA Chapter III
- Chair, Infectious Disease Committee
- Advisory Committee
- Academic Pediatric Association