We focus on educating future physicians, public health professionals and researchers in child development and community health. Our education programs focus on:
- Increasing the work-force diversity in the health professions
- Teaching future pediatricians about the role of the community in creating risk or protection related to children’s health
- Teaching child development to medical students, pediatric residents and child psychiatry fellows
- Providing internship opportunities for health promotion and research in child development and community health for undergraduate and graduate students
- Providing advanced training for post-doctoral fellows in public health, education, nursing, and developmental-behavioral pediatrics
As a central part of its mission and philosophy, Center for Community Health (CCH) is committed to providing training and education opportunities for students at all levels. Working with faculty at the CCH, students not only receive state-of-the-field disciplinary research training, but also exchange and collaborate across disciplines and units that do not often occur within the usual departmental structure. Student involvement in research projects is actively encouraged, and is viewed as beneficial to both the student and the project and vitally important to the future of research in the areas targeted by the Section. Research training is offered at the Section through formalized training programs, participation in research teams, and individual student research activities.
The goals of the CCH include the amelioration of health disparities in child health and development through research, as well as the implementation and evaluation of innovative and culturally competent community-based programs that promote health and safety. The Section utilizes a multidisciplinary team of pediatricians, nutritionists, statisticians, psychologists, health and physical educators, and other professionals. In order to achieve these goals the Section is committed to providing research trainings opportunities for students at all levels.
Our Section is a great place to gain research or community health experience as a student or volunteer! We offer positions that qualify for undergraduate and graduate credit at UC San Diego, San Diego State University and other schools and universities. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or leave a message at 619-681-0660 with questions.
If you are looking for postgraduate level opportunities please visit our Residency and Fellowships page.