The mission of the Department of Pediatrics is to provide advanced and cutting-edge education to students, residents, and fellows. The faculty work diligently to create an inspiring educational environment that allows for optimal learning. The educational mission is directed by a talented, diverse and innovative group of individuals who are all committed to excellence in pediatric education.
The goal of the Pediatric Residency Program at the University of California San Diego is to train pediatricians to be well versed in all aspects of caring for sick and well children by integrating the art and science of pediatric medicine. Located in the seventh largest city in the U.S. and on the border with Mexico, the program offers unique experiences in border health, the intercity/homeless population, the rural community, the military community and the Native American population. All the second and third year residents are involved in longitudinal projects in partnership with community based organizations. 30 percent of the 2005 graduating seniors went into fellowship training, and the remaining 70 percent are pursuing careers in primary care. This year’s intern recruitment was extremely successful, attracting medical students from major medical schools across the country.
Research, teaching and clinical excellence are the cornerstones of all fellowship programs. Many listed here are premier in the country, with nationally and internationally reputable faculty. Learn more about our Pediatric Fellowship programs.
Over 300 students pass through the Rady Children’s Hospital-San Diego campus each academic year. Third- and fourth-year medical students from the University of California San Diego rotate throughout all specialties on the main Rady Children’s Hospital-San Diego campus and its affiliated satellite clinics. Students from as far away as Japan, Honduras, and Germany come for both clinical experience and research opportunities.
Visiting Pediatric Residents
Rady Children’s Hospital-San Diego is the primary pediatric training site for pediatric, dual internal medicine/pediatric, family practice, and specialty residents from the UCSD School of Medicine, Scripps Mercy Hospital-Chula Vista, Scripps Mercy Hospital-San Diego, Balboa Naval Medical Center and Pendleton Naval Medical Center programs. Rady Children’s offers pediatric training in 37 specialties to medical and surgical residents. Over 250 non-pediatric residents from UCSD receive specialized pediatric training in areas such as radiology, pathology, craniofacial surgery, pediatric surgery/trauma, neurosurgery, anesthesia, physiatrics/rehabilitative medicine and more. Residents from across the nation and countries such as Germany and Central America train at Rady Children’s Hospital-San Diego.
The Rady Children’s Hospital-San Diego Pediatric Dental Residency Program and three Rady Children’s Hospital-San Diego dental clinics were established to provide California licensed general dentists with two years of specialty training in treating children of all ages, particularly those with complex medical conditions or disabilities. The program was launched in 2003 through private philanthropy and a federal grant to address the extreme shortage of pediatric dentists in San Diego County (one specialty dentist per 18,000 children), improve workforce diversity, and to provide critical treatment to children in need.
In March 2005, the program was granted full accreditation with commendations from the American Dental Association Commission on Dental Accreditation for Children’s Pediatric Dental Residency Program. Dental residents are actively involved in busy clinics, the operating room, and in research benefiting the community.
Teaching Activities by Division